- Vacuum areas where infested head has come into
contact in the previous 24 hours (furniture, car
- Strip all bedding and dry for 45 min. HIGH heat
- Launder all recently used towels
- Coats, hats, shirts, PJs, etc. used by infested
individual the previous 24 hours should be machine
dried on HIGH heat for 45 minutes (or placed in
plastic bag and frozen for 2 hours)
- Stuffed animals should be machine dried on
HIGH heat for 30 minutes or placed in a plastic bag
and frozen for 2 hours
- Sanitize/vacuum shared headphones or helmets
- Sanitize brushes and combs by removing all
loose hair and either freeze in plastic bag
for 2 hours or run through sanitize cycle in
NOTE: If unable to launder items, place contaminated items in another area away from others for 24 hours.
Do NOT spray or fog your home with insecticides or pediculicides !
To Avoid Lice Transmission:
- Teach your children not to share head gear, hair brushes,
pillows, or hair ornaments
- Have kids store all head gear in separate area from others
- Braid, bun or ponytail your child's hair before going out to play
- Spray hair with Mint Repellant before going out to play (lice
hate mint spray)!
Pets do NOT transmit head lice!
More info on lice prevention: